This Thursday, 8th March marks International Women’s Day. A day the world not only celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, but also reminds us of the need for continued progress toward gender equality.
To date this initiative, known as 5by20, has successfully provided 2.4 million women from 75 countries across the globe access to financial support, business training, professional networks and mentoring.
Coca-Cola South Pacific’s President, Vamsi Mohan says career opportunities should be equal for all.
“Providing women with equal opportunity at
You can read some of the global 5by20 success stories here.
5by20 at Home
Locally, almost 2,000 women have been economically enabled through the Australian 5by20 program called MyRoad, since it launched in 2016.
In partnership with Beacon Foundation, MyRoad uses online technology to virtually connect young women, many from regional and remote areas, with skilled professionals to provide valuable mentoring and career guidance.
MyRoad supports the company’s 5by20 goal while lowering school drop-out rates for young Australian women and prepares them for successful careers and brighter futures.
In 2017 MyRoad provided:
● 930 young Australian women with valuable career guidance
● 590 hours of mentoring from volunteer mentors
● 80 schools across every Australian State and Territory with the MyRoad initiative
Global President and CEO of The
Here, he explains why mentoring is so important at
“Our associates value it. Our business depends on it to grow. And the better tomorrow we all want to create depends on it to become a reality,” he said.
The MyRoad program pairs students with mentors. The two-hour sessions are run within the classroom and contribute to the high-school curriculum.
Registration is easy, you can sign up at the Beacon website: https://ebeacon.net.au/myroad
More on Journey
- Lights Out for Earth Hour
- Delivering happiness around the world: The history of Coca-Cola’s Christmas Trucks
- Putting out the flames: A Mount Franklin truck in the right place
- Coca-Cola Partners with Raise Foundation to Support Youth Mentoring
- Endless Curiosity: How to Become Young Journalist of the Year