A dinner party’s all well and good, but it’s nothing on lunch al fresco. While summer is in full swing, why not take advantage of Australia’s seasonal produce with a picnic? Here’s an easy meal that tastes great - and travels well.
Mayo, Mint and Prawn Sandwiches – Serves 2
Nothing speaks to Australian summer quite like fresh prawns on fresh bread. This recipe improves on perfection.
The perfect prawn: There’s nothing quite like seafood in summer.
- 300g Cooked Prawns
- ½ tbsp. Mayonnaise
- Bunch of Fresh Mint
- 2 tbsp. Capers
- Soft Fresh Whole Grain Bread
- Salt and Pepper
- Shell prawns and roughly dice.
- Combine prawns, a handful of capers, and finely cut mint in a bowl.
- Stir through mayonnaise.
- Cut bread into rectangular batons, discarding crust.
- Spoon on a thick layer of the prawn-mint-mayo mixture and apply sandwich lid.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper for transportation in picnic basket.
Nutritional information per serve: Energy: 1195kJ / Protein: 27.8g / Total Fat: 5.5g / Saturated Fat: 1.0g / Carbohydrate: 28.4g / Sugars: 3.5g / Fibre: 4.8g / Sodium: 1095mg
Mango Soba Salad – Serves 2
Served cold, this refreshing salad puts to use the King of Fruits: the mango.
The summer holidays should be all about relaxing and rejuvinating, so this healthy and refreshing salad ticks all the boxes.
- 1 Large Mango
- 1 Packet (200g) of Soba Noodles
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Red Chilli
- ½ bunch Coriander
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook soba noodles in boiling water, drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside to cool.
- Slice cucumber, roughly chop coriander and dice chilli. Add to bowl.
- Cut mango into large cubes and add to mix.
- Add cold soba noodles to the bowl, then stir through sesame oil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the salad into jars, and serve with chopsticks (or, if you insist, a fork).
Nutritional information per serve: Energy: 925kJ / Protein: 6.7g / Total Fat: 3.5g / Saturated Fat: 0.5g / Carbohydrate: 36.2g / Sugars: 12.8g / Fibre: 8.6g / Sodium: 335mg
More on Journey
- Spoilt for Choice: How Australians Are Enjoying a Very Multicultural Christmas
- 4 Delicious Steps to a Very Vegetarian Christmas
- Taking A Stand At Work: Why we are Embracing Flexible Workstations
- Flavour Fusions: Local Food Bloggers Share Their Favourite Flavour Combos
- Surprise! Kelly Rowland wows Parramatta with Coke No Sugar