Like all parents, Danielle Tsogas’ life changed when she had her daughter, Lucia.
As a new mum in the grip of the enormous first weeks of parenthood, she realised the truth in the phrase ‘friends are the family you choose.’ Danielle knew she wanted a supportive community for her daughter, and realised more than most how hard it could be to make those connections.
“Imagine if you were hearing or sight impaired,” said the
“Imagine how hard it would be to just get around, let alone make new friends and enjoy new experiences. It can be terrifying, and so many people end up feeling isolated,” Danielle said.
Plain sailing for grant recipients
Pamela Wyatt knows all the metaphors for sailing: wind in your sails, change tack, haul anchor. According to Pamela, the benefits transcend all the clichés.
“You can see the difference to kids in such a short time,” said the
Money where it’s needed
Club commodore Graham Brown admitted it’s been a challenge to attract and retain members compared to better funded sports. He was delighted to receive the call last week notifying him of the grant.
“Now we can give so many more kids the chance to learn to sail and feel part of something healthy and fun,” he said.
“A lot of our young people can become really isolated,” Judy said.
“Now we’ll be able to arrange more activities, camps, opportunities to make new friends and learn life skills. We’ll also be able to put more young people in touch with mentors. Lots of the mentors actually came through the program themselves when they were young, so it’s full circle,” she said.
Here’s a list of 2017 employee connected grant recipients:
- Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Police Citizens Youth Sailing Club
- Beaches Outreach Project
- PA Research Foundation
- Kids Under Cover
- Bularri Muurlay Nyanggan Aboriginal Corporation
- One80TC - NEO
- Edmund Rice Camps NSW
- Cape York Aboriginal Charitable Trust
- The Trustee for The Salvation Army (VIC) Social Work
- Sports Challenge Australia
- Cleveland Scout Group
- Australian Kookaburra Kids Foundation
- Giant Steps
- Save Our Sons Duchenne Foundation
- GingerCloud Foundation Ltd
- Bully Zero Australia Foundation
- 1st Glen Innes Scout Group
- Glass Jar Australia
- Exodus Youth Worx
- Endeavour Special Kids With A Disability
- Sydney Story Factory
- Civic Disability Services
- Can:Do 4Kids
- The Wayside Chapel
- Bravehearts Foundation Limited
- Touch Football Specialised Inc.
- KYDS Youth Development Service Incorporated
- Beyond Empathy
- THREE for all Foundation
- CanTeen - The Australian organisation for Young People Living with Cancer
- Minda Incorporated
- Dunn Lewis Centre
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal New South Wales (RSPCA NSW)
- United Way Australia
More on Journey
- How the Coke Billboard Hyphen is Starring in the Best Christmas Lights of 2016
- Forgotten Superheroes: Free Coke for Designated Drivers Across Australia
- How Helping Hoops is Levelling the Playing Field
- Sugar Cane Farmers Working to Preserve the Great Barrier Reef for Future Generations
- From One Icon To Another: The Wayside Chapel Keeps on Supporting Sydney Communities