To help provide communities in need with access to safe drinking water and other basic necessities, The
For more than 125 years, The
What is EKOCENTER?EKOCENTER is a modularly designed kiosk with Slingshot at its core, transformed from a 20-foot shipping container into a hub of community activity, offering clean, safe drinking water, alongside other services, such as access to wireless communication, electricity, vaccination storage, and more tailored to address community needs. EKOCENTERTM strives to help communities thrive— each and every community member—from the people using EKOCENTERTM to the local entrepreneur operating it.
What is Slingshot technology?
In 2012, our Company announced a partnership with DEKA R&D at the Clinton Global Initiative to deliver stand-alone Slingshot water purification systems to schools, community centers and health clinics in rural communities in countries throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, and as an expansion of this partnership, Slingshot will be a key component of the EKOCENTER project.
In 2013, we are deploying units in Africa and Latin America. Building on current pilot work initiated in Paraguay, Mexico and South Africa by The
Slingshot Fast Facts
- The Slingshot is a vapor compression distillation system capable of cleaning and purifying any type of non-potable water into pure, clean water.
- The technology operates in a similar way to that which nature itself cleans water—the system boils and evaporates any dirty water source and then allows pure water to condense and be collected.
- One Slingshot unit can purify up to 300,000 litres of water each year—enough daily drinking water for roughly 300 people.
- A slingshot can be powered by any power source that can provide 1 kilowatt of power.
Community participation and support are essential to the success of EKOCENTER, which is why we envision EKOCENTER being operated by local female entrepreneurs, complementing our 5by20 initiative, and with support from technology, development, and financial partners.
How We’re Doing This: The Golden TriangleWe recognize that partnership with other companies, NGOs and government partners is key to leverage collective thinking, experience, innovation, products and financial support to execute EKOCENTER in a thoughtful manner with long-term viability in mind. Working with business, government and civil society – what we call the “Golden Triangle” – is key to making a positive difference on global challenges.
With help from DEKA R&D, we have developed a partnership to support the EKOCENTER project. Their expertise enables us to do far more than we could alone. Here’s a list of our partners to date:
- DEKA R&D
- Inter-American Development Bank
- McCann Health
Quote“EKOCENTER represents an investment in the future prosperity and progress of some of the most fragile and at-risk communities we serve,” said Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO, The
More on Journey
- Spring in the Garden: Tips from Cana Farm
- Straw and More: How Landcare is Saving Rivers
- The Unlikely Environmentalist: Sugarcane Growers Protecting Our Reef
- The Value of Water: Director of Global Water Stewardship Greg Koch Talks About the Growing Issue of Water
- Growing Strong: Aussie canegrowers showcase water conservation project